CLEBURNE, Texas – A man who survived a house explosion that killed his wife and injured several family members is suing Atmos Energy Corp., alleging a gas main leak caused the blast.
David Pawlik, 66, is seeking unspecified damages stemming from the explosion and subsequent fire at his home in Cleburne, about 30 miles south of Fort Worth.
Pawlik's wife Hazel, 64, died just days after suffering burns in the May 29 explosion. The lawsuit contends an accumulation of gas from lines owned and controlled by Atmos leaked into Pawlik's house and accumulated there, leading to the explosion. The suit also alleges Atmos failed to maintain and inspect the pipelines and warn the family of the problem.
Atmos Energy had not been served with the lawsuit by Saturday, said company spokesman Rand LaVonn.
The Pawlik's daughter Hazel Sanderson, 44; her husband, David, 49; and their daughters Misty, 17, and Stephanie, 9, lived at the home.
The Pawliks, the Sanderson's and their youngest daughter had to be transported to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas for treatment after the blast.
Cleburne City Manager Chester Nolen said leaking gas migrated into the sewer system and caused an accumulation of gas in the house, which erupted when someone inside lit a cigarette. The house did not have gas service.