Texas - at or near the bottom:
- A child is born into poverty every 7 minutes.
- Has the highest rate of people living in poverty.
- A child is abused or neglected every 10 minutes.
- Texas ranks 50th for the highest teen birth rate.
- Texas leads the country in executions since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976
- 80-90% of the homeless population living on the streets are affected by mental illness. One in four is a veteran.
- Texas ranks 50th in the nation for the most people without medical insurance.
- Texas has the second highest rate of incarceration.
- Texas has the second highest income gap between rich and poor.
- Texas is the first in the nation for cancerous emissions into the air and toxic chemicals released into water.
- Texas is home to three of the poorest counties in the nation.
- Texas is home to three of the most polluted cities in the U.S.
- PortArthur, Beaumont and Orange have the highest rate of cancer incident and death in the state. (hydrocarbon toxins and emissions)
- 5.6 million do not have health insurance.
- Texas has the highest teen birth rate and the most repeat teen births in the nation. (Texas requires middle schools to teach abstinence as the only method that is 100% effective in preventing pregnancy.)
Thanks to Burnt Orange Report.